Wednesday, December 16, 2009

omg look i'm doing it, I'M DOING IT

I did it.

I put to bed my first edition at the Manchester Enterprise last night. It was a long day, but it went much smoother than I expected. Some really great stories in there, particularly about a local legend with a biography coming out. I think I did pretty well for a first run.

Still, I'm adjusting to the learning curve at a reasonable pace and already know what I would have changed. Twice as much stuff is planned for the Christmas Eve edition, and those leads are being more cooperative. Next week will include a story on a local girl running a half marathon for leukemia and lymphoma, a story on the Manchester school's budget after a sit-down with Shawn Lewis-Lakin, a feature on the reopened Black Sheep Tavern, what Manchester residents like most about Christmas, and the token picture of the absolutely adorable child.

Also, I hate spam and junk mail, and thanks to editors of the past our editor@manchesterenterprise email is the most spam-laden e-mail in the world. While building pages yesterday, I gathered roughly 70 spam emails. Roughly 9% were about terrorism, 40% was about our senate and house representatives, and the other 50% were for magazines that I've never even heard of. The other 1% was a repeating foreign email... those ones where they say they have millions of dollars waiting for you in a bank account. And its YOURS, just as long as you hand your life and credit card numbers over. No thanks.

But anyway, mission accomplished. Mailbox has been cleared. Calendar has been updated. Paper has been finished. That means it's a typical Wednesday. Fortunately that means I only work half of it. Unfortunately, it means the other half is spent cleaning my apartment (why does it never STAY clean), paying bills, and general errand-like housekeeping.

At least this time I didn't sleep through the first half of the day. I stand a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment