Sunday, January 16, 2011

Globes #2

Michelle Pfeiffer presents Alice in Wonderland... not sure why her, but... it's nominated for Best Motion Picture Comedy. A clip ensues...

Gervais is back.... and is freely taking stabs at the President of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, Philip Burke... who isn't nearly as old as Gervais eluded to and probably doesn't need help on the toilet. But don't worry, Burke holds Gervais' balls when it comes to having films admitted for consideration... not that Gervais ever has movies worth considering at the Globes.

Burke gives a boring speech that people who aren't in the business wouldn't understand.

Milla Jovavich and Kevin Bacon take the stage to present Actor in a Television Series Drama. Nominees are Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire), Brian Cranston (Breaking Bad), Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Jon Hamm (Mad Men, aka the hottest man on earth), and Hugh Laurie (House). Steve Buscemi wins. He is one creepy looking dude, no matter how you cut it. I mean he could be a serial killer and I wouldn't be at all shocked. 

TV SERIES DRAMA: Big category. Nominees are Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, The Good Wife, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead. Golden Globe goes to Boardwalk Empire. I guess I'm a little surprised by the order of these awards. Why the junk are we giving away TV Series Drama right now? We're only a few commercials in... they could have easily saved this category for the end. They must REALLY be banking on the star power of presenters rather than the excitement of the awards... and with that frame of mind I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if Best Foreign Language Film was last because it's being presented by Robert Pattinson. I said his name... cue screaming girls (yes I'm one of them, but maybe not has admirably as usual considering Jon Hamm is in the room..)

After the commercial break, Andrew Garfield from Social Network stumbles his way through an introduction to The Social Network. His performance as a presenter is not inspiring me to let my guard down and see his movie. I have refused up until this point, because I hate Zuckerberg and the privacy-destroying horse he rode in on. Chris things he'll convince me otherwise, but I'm not convinced. After all, I hate the main character... and the movie is about how the awful main character invents Facebook, screws over his friends, and becomes an even bigger jerkoff. Yeah, sounds like fun. I'm sure it's great filmmaking and a fantastic/interesting movie, but I just.... can't.

Alec Baldwin and Jennifer Lopez present Original Song, and Baldwin continues to impress me with his lollipops and gumdrops. Nominees are Burlesque, Country Strong, Tangled, Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Burlesque for a second number. Burlesque wins for the Cher knockoff because everyone loves a comeback. See, Gervais? People do want to see Cher in concert after 1975.

Now up is Best Original Score, which is an interesting one this year because a bunch of the movies originally nominated were disqualified because they used too much unoriginal music, including Black Swan and The Fighter. I guess I understand the rule. It's something like 70 or 80 % of what's used has to be completely original, and of course Black Swan revolves around Swan Lake, but still it takes a lot of work to make a score work with a complicated classic. Either way, The Social Network wins. Other nominees were The King's Speech, Alice in Wonderland, 127 Hours, and Inception.

Break time.

Posted via email from Pass Fail Meter

No comments:

Post a Comment