Monday, December 13, 2010

A flimsy (yet tasty!) luncheon launch

Today was the first day of my brown bag project at work--aka the project where I bring a nutritious and delectable lunch with me to work so as to eat healthy and save money. I accomplished both of those things today, but with probably the easiest and least exciting meal possible: leftover spaghetti. Did it taste good? Yes. Did it provide me with much-needed midday carbs? Yes. Did it showcase my culinary prowess, of which there is some, but only a little? No.

Still, it got the job done, and cheaply. I had alternative plans for my "very first meal," but when it came to last night's dinner, Boyfriend Man had something to say about the cook time. He was hungry immediately and preferred pasta to whatever meal would require that he wait an additional twenty minutes. So I shuffled this week's meal plan a bit to accommodate him--which, by the way, is exactly why I didn't publish my meal plan yesterday, for moments such as these which I KNOW will happen.

Where this meal is lacking in originality, it makes up in cost effectiveness. Between the spaghetti noodles and the sauce components, the ingredients for this meal cost a grand total of $6, and since we ate half of it last night and I ate a quarter of it today, that means my lunch was $1.50. Score. Snacks today consisted of almonds, a clementine, and bell pepper slices to complement my grain-filled meal.

There is no preparatory strategy for today. Just reheat, serve, and enjoy. However, when it comes to meal planning strategies overall, I always like to keep noodles and sauces in stock in my kitchen for last-minute situations. It's always nice to have some pasta and garlic bread on hand when you need a quick and easy meal. I generally make sure I have a pasta dish once each week.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment