Sunday, November 29, 2009

new job, new job, new job!

Sort of, kind of. I'm still doing essentially the same things with newspapers, but covering different topics and for a different community. Starting on Dec. 10, I will no longer be covering Saline and Milan sports... which means I'll also no longer be paginating the sports sections/sports tabs for Saline, Milan, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Belleville and Manchester.

My new position will be the copy editor of the Manchester Enterprise. I will be the editor and main content writer for the village's paper, mostly covering the school district, the chamber of commerce and the various township council meetings.

I'm pretty stoked. In all honesty I don't really know much about the village yet, but I hear it's filled with incredibly warm and local people. They sound great. I'm mostly just excited to try something new. I've been doing the sports thing for over a year now and I think I've come a long way. There are always ways I can continue to improve, but this change definitely came at a great time for me personally as well. I needed it. Bad.

I'm going to be thrown into the water without much time to adjust, as well, because it looks like my first edition as the Manchester editor will be Dec. 10, and then the following week (Dec. 24) I'll be responsible for taking care of Chelsea, Dexter and Manchester thanks to a coworker that wants to use his unused vacation time.

This week our sports editor Don Richter (who will take my place with Saline and Milan sports in the coming weeks) is also on vacation... so I get to paginate AND dummy the other sports sections. He pretty much said, "Hey, good practice for when you become editor." Then he laughed. I didn't think it was funny.

In fact, I assumed the next few weeks would be a breeze, and that they would be a time when I could relish in my final days as a sports writer. Well we all know what happens when you assume...

What happens is the Don vacation thing, along with our seasonal sports preview tab. So I get to do that too. Everyone's copy is due Thursday and we build the pages on Friday I THINK I DON'T KNOW NO ONE TELLS ME THESE THINGS. But it will get done. It WILL get done. I guess that means I have to get started on my preview stories. That will be a fun, awkward conversation.... "oh hai! I'm not covering your team anymore! but give me the lowdown on your drama before I hand you off like an unwanted newborn!" Just kidding... I love winter. Hockey could kick any other sport's proverbial bottom. Just saying..

No comments:

Post a Comment