Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer festivals are herreeee!

I love this time of year. Not only does the weather facilitate happy people and more breathable clothing, but it also marks vacation time and fun activities. One such activity is Ann Arbor's Summer Festival, or more specifically Top of the Park. It launched last weekend and goes full swing this month. I'll definitely be attending Wednesday night with roommate Rachie, because the film they intend to play against Rackham Auditorium is none other than TWILIGHT. omg. Should be exciting. I'm planning to take my camera around and shoot some pics of the area and locals, including those awkward teenybopper middle schoolers who crowd around the fountains and oh-my-god-help-me-now hold HANDS! Premarital touching is the best.

Other days I'm looking forward to are not this Friday but next, June 26, when Diana Krall and My Dear Disco take to the stage. Diana is obviously awesome, but I'm actually more excited for local band My Dear Disco with their uber talented lead singer, their quirky techno vibe, and their lead guitarist Theo, who happens to know my boyfriend and has cool hair. Gotta love a rocker with cool hair. So free flowing and fluffy. The very next day on Saturday, June 27, the Macpodz take to the stage and they're supposed to be very rock out, as well.

The only other night of significance is sometime the week after that when they play the Triplets of Belleville, a French cartoon that won best foreign short film at the Oscars a few years ago. The music in it is supposed to be awesome and quirky and I love movies like that. Also Jose Hernandez is on stage that night, a little-known Swedish songwriter despite his Latin name. He's ah-maze-ing. His songs sort of have the same vibe as British songstress Laura Marling, American songwriter Ben Jelen, Gavin DeGraw and Rufus Wainwright. He plays a lot of acoustic things and somber, but very good lyrically and has a lot of range from song to song. Very much recommended.

Further into summer I'll also be busy attending the Rothbury Music Festival near Traverse City with my friends Beth and Tom. Camping out and listening to bands and concerts all day. The headliners are Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan. The Madpodz will be there too, as well as like 30 other bands.

Also the Ann Arbor Art Fair is in July, which as always is a great time to live near Ann Arbor, despite all the parking hassles. Then in the beginning-middle of August I'll be basking in the sun in the Outer Banks of North Carolina with my darling Christopher and his family. Great timesssss. Summerrrrr~!

No comments:

Post a Comment