Friday, March 29, 2013

Farewell Posterous Spaces: Fail

I don't really post regularly anymore, so I'm just now realizing that Posterous Spaces is shutting down. (crap) 

I have t-minus 30 days to get my posts backed up and/or moved to a new location.  This feels both incredibly disappointing, and incredibly inconvenient.  The Posterous blog always let me create posts through my email, which made writing at work incredibly easy.  People looking over my shoulder would think I was diligently drafting an email of some kind, when in fact I was writing spirited stories about Cookie Monster or carrots.  Now I'll have to switch back to one of the well-known (AKA RECOGNIZABLE BY COWORKERS) platforms like Wordpress or Blogger.  I haven't decided which yet.  Thankfully, Posterous Spaces claims I can export my stuff to Wordpress, but I'm not sure how confident I am that everything will make its way over.  Also I'm not sure how easy it is to embed videos and images in Wordpress because I haven't used it.  Blogger used to be finnicky, and it never looked very nice.

If I'm being honest with myself, it isn't like that many people will notice I'm gone (not gone, moved. but out of sight, out of blog).  The thing about blogging is that people stop reading when you stop writing on the regular.  I became erratic and my post views went from 8,500 down to 50 people.  But to those glorious 50, who remain consistent and true: fear not!  I will let you know where I end up so you may update your RSS feeds (oh, btw, GoogleReader is done soon too*), or your bookmark, or however it is that you become aware I've posted something.

*No more Google Reader? This was an even bigger blow to my head because I use it all day long and it means LOTS OF WORK to replace.  I follow A LOT of news and A LOT of comics and A LOT of cooking blogs.  I am really not thrilled at the prospect of re-entering all of those things into another RSS reader someplace else (someplace which probably won't exist one month after I've switched).  It is also one of Google's most useful tools, so it astounds me that they kept tampering with it and are now pulling the plug.  Leave it alone!  It works!  Stop asking me to partake in Google+!  It's crap compared to Facebook because social networks need lots of people to function... for social reasons.  And I don't even really like Facebook that much anymore, so what's the point?

The one positive thing about Google Reader's demise is that it prompted a fantastic Hitler reaction video, courtesy of footage from the movie Downfall (now streaming on Netflix):

Posted via email from Pass Fail Meter

No comments:

Post a Comment