Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A story in which I die first in a horror movie: Fail

So yesterday it rained pretty hard.  People were like, whoa, look at this rain.
 
There were a few moments driving when I had to double check that my car headlights were on, because they just didn't seem to be illuminating anything.
 
This leads me to my acquaintance with something scary last night.  Given that it's almost Thanksgiving, I have family coming into town.  My brother flew in last night, and I drove to my mom's house to cook dinner for everyone.  The house was empty when I arrived, and it was still pouring rain so I decided to park in the garage.  I proceeded to unload the groceries from my car with the garage door still up when I felt that cold, dark shudder you feel when something peculiar catches your eye.  I spun around.
 
AHHH!.... what was that...
 
Since I was in a lit garage and outside it was dark and stormy, I obviously could see nothing.  But I could hear something.  I have no idea what, but I knew I could hear it.  Then suddenly...
 
Dark flash of movement!
 
GAHHHHH!!! WHAT ARE YOU???
 
My thought didn't immediately go to serial killer, because in that part of town we've had trouble with coyotes and such in the woods by our home.  But I'd be lying if I said serial killers didn't cross my mind.
 
:::more noise more noise:::
 
This is the moment in scary movies where the hot chick who opens the film goes to investigate the noise in her basement or attic or wherever, and is shortly thereafter maimed, spiked, slaughtered, etc.
 
I have mocked this moment 1,000 times.
 
So what did I do?  I began to investigate the noise.
 
It was right around the time that I was peaking outside at the edge of the garage, still hearing the rustle rustle sound, when I realized I had become the brainless bimbo... and that, if in fact something scary was about to attack me, I would surely die.  And it would be my fault.
 
So I skedaddled inside, pressed the garage door button from the safety of the house, waited five minutes, and went back to unload the groceries with a golf club in hand.
 
So it just goes to show... maybe those scary movie chicks aren't so stupid after all.  Maybe our initial reaction to the unknown is curiosity--we must investigate!  I must hit the car in front of me while I strain to see the accident on the side of the road!  I must make myself vomit because I must see the thing, even though I know seeing the thing will make me vomit.
 
To my credit though, it only took me about 60 seconds to realize I was in that situation and to duck and run like a coward...
 
... but a coward who survived.
 
Also, it was probably a squirrel.

Posted via email from Pass Fail Meter

No comments:

Post a Comment